Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Crafting in Celebration of National Nurses Week and World Lupus Day

Today was a double duty of crafts! In celebration of National Nurses Week and World Lupus Day, I decided to wake up early and create some cards before I get to some work. Interestingly enough, the two celebrations are very close to me with my mum who's been a nurse for over 30 years, including the number of nurses in our family, and my sister who passed away from Lupus 11 years ago. (If you notice the butterfly wings in the bottom card, I used it in representation of one of the signs of lupus which is butterfly shaped rash.) I realize in order to keep the memory alive, understand your journey, and celebrate events, it's a great to create pieces of memorabilia to always be reminded of the experience. I admire nurses for their hard work and caring disposition towards their patients. I know how to give an injection and possible clean a wound from just watching my mother. I also can say that the pain and hurt I used to feel towards this disease called Lupus and missing my sister so much, I've healed with time due to just creating more memories and allowing my life to be inspired.

Here are a few cards I've created:
National Nurses Week
From http://www.nursingworld.org/NationalNursesWeek
"Often described as an art and a science, nursing is a profession that embraces dedicated people with varied interests, strengths and passions because of the many opportunities the profession offers. As nurses, we work in emergency rooms, school based clinics, and homeless shelters, to name a few. We have many roles – from staff nurse to educator to nurse practitioner and nurse researcher – and serve all of them with passion for the profession and with a strong commitment to patient safety."










World Lupus Day
http://www.lupusresearch.org/events/get-in-on-it/
Get In On It is an exciting new campaign that kicks off Lupus Awareness Month for the ALR – the largest private funder of lupus research.  Get In On It officially launches on May 10, 2011 which is World Lupus Day.  Get In On It inspires people to take action and rally behind an important mission: to find better treatments and ultimately a cure for a debilitating autoimmune disease that affects 5 million people worldwide.


No comments:

Post a Comment