Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Treasured Tropics: Ginger Lilies!!!

I can see it now, my mother running "up the road" (btw this would be the morning we're heading back home to the States from Grenada) with a perfectly wrapped in brown paper, bouquet of tropical lovelies, from Bird of Paradise, Hibiscus', Ginger Lilies, and some green luscious palm leaves for decoration. Thank you Aunty Len for tending to such a beautiful garden that produced amazing tropical flowers for us to bring back home!



Something about tropical flowers and plants that can change a space. Well, to my surprise, I received a beautiful bouquet of "Ginger Lilies" or Hedychium yesterday and as I was preparing to leave my studio for the day, I was drawn back in by these these tropical lovelies. Long, luscious, and full of vibrancy, I took a few photos with my Canon G11 and iPhone apps, "Hipstamatic" (check it out if you want to vintage looks) and also the Tilt Shift Generator app for some atmospheric effects.



I then I created some Ginger Lily imagery in my Art Journal:



I also created some postage stamp style cards with some tropical themes. I've talked about my passion for old postage stamps, so this was soo much fun! I may send these out to my lovely girl friends. I used a Tim Holtz postage die, Artist Trading Cards (ATC), stencils, water color pencils, Brilliance Archival Ink Pads, and lots of inspiration.












I can always count on my sweet Caribbean to flood my mind with memories, ideas, and passion to CREATE!

Enjoy,
Shanti

Location:In my memories...

No comments:

Post a Comment